INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Pegasus FocusCube 3

• Thank you received: 30
Have spent a frustrating day trying to connect this new focuser to Indi/EKOS. Thinking the firmware might be a problem I've tried to update the focuser firmware from 1.1 to 1.4.1 but the Pegasus software is Windows based and I run a Mac (if anyone knows how to upgrade the firmware on this device any other way, I'm all ears). I've tried using Parallels and Windows 11, and after installing the Pegasus software and the required ASCOM software I can control the focuser from my Mac. Of course this isn't what I wanted but it was a path to getting the firmware upgraded. After many attempts I get nothing but error messages and I'm still on Pegasus firmware 1.1. Does anyone have this focuser and have you gotten it to work with Indi/EKOS? When I try to get it to work in Indi/EKOS, it just fails to establish a connection. I've played with ports (Including the one that calls out this focuser specifically) and so far, no luck.

I'm running Stellarmate OS on an RPi 4 and using it as an INDI server. I am running Kstars/EKOS on a Mac where I actually control the system.

Any insights would be very welcome.

Cheers,
Fred
2 months 2 weeks ago #98946

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 30
After a frustrating day and a half trying to get this focuser to work (hey, we all like fiddling, right?) I've decided to return the Pegasus FocusCube3 and purchase an Optec focuser for my Sky Watcher Esprit 100. The reason for the return is that the capabilities of the device are misrepresented.They claim the following: FocusCube v3 boasts full support for the latest ASCOM, ASCOM Alpaca, and INDI frameworks, ensuring compatibility with a wide range of astronomical software and platforms.

After a day and a half of trying to get it to work, I contacted Pegasus support and received the following from Evans Souglakos of Pegasus: There is a new driver for indi dedicated for the focuscube3 but it had not been integrated yet to the latest release of indilib. Hopefully it will be available by next week.

So, by their own admission it does not currently support the environment I purchased it for. I would further indicate that the focuser that was shipped to me was at firmware v 1.1. Their current firmware is 1.4.1 and there is no way to successfully upgrade their firmware on a non-Windows machine. I have even attempted to try a firmware upgrade via a Windows virtual machine using Parallels with no success. While I also have requested firmware upgrade instructions from Pegasus they have not replied on that topic.

I would also note that, for those who may be waiting for the next Indi Library release to use this product, there is probably about a two month wait since the latest release just came out February 1st. And for those who are Mac users, the nightly builds have not been available for a month now.

I have used Pegasus products for a few years and have had a good experience - this is a marked departure. I also question why the astro community needs proprietary software that is apparently required, among other things, to upgrade the firmware (Pegasus' Windows only Unity platform). I assume they will sort this out in the fullness of time but it is disappointing that it does not work as advertised.

If you made it this far - thanks for letting me vent!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alfred
2 months 2 weeks ago #98997

• Thank you received: 1

Replied by aj on topic Pegasus FocusCube 3

Hi, also being an entirely Linux user I have been having the same frustrations waiting to buy this product,

I was at the point of considering buying another brand so I asked what the latest situation was and got this update from Evans today,,see below,
They have clearly been progressing it which is good news.

- There was a memory leak in the initial firmware which has been addressed.
- All Focuscube v3 devices are now shipped with the latest firmware.
- An updated INDI library driver is going to be launched by the end of this month along with instructions on how to upgrade firmware in Linux.
- You can also use Alpaca via WiFi which is driver and OS-independent.

Kind Regards
Last edit: 1 month 1 week ago by aj. Reason: Typo
1 month 1 week ago #99737

Replied by Raffaele on topic Pegasus FocusCube 3

I have found the new driver in the latest commit of indilib

github.com/indilib/indi/blob/master/drivers.xml

420 <device label="Pegasus FocusCube3" manufacturer="Pegasus Astro">
421 <driver name="Pegasus FocusCube3">indi_pegasus_focuscube3</driver>
422 <version>1.0</version>
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frederick Ruegsegger
1 month 3 days ago #99922

• Thank you received: 2

Replied by Manel on topic Pegasus FocusCube 3

I'm very frustrated trying to install this focuser on my system (raspberry pi4). Does it exist any way of forcing the installation of the new driver for this focuser in my version (astroberry)?
thank's
3 weeks 2 days ago #100094

• Thank you received: 19

Replied by Alan Archer on topic Pegasus FocusCube 3

Manel, Astroberry is a 32 bit system and a lot of the new drivers will not run on a 32 bit system.

If you can't build a system from scratch, try either Stellarmate (paid for with support) www.stellarmate.com or Astroarch github.com/devDucks/astroarch to get you the latest 64 bit systems. If you can build a system from scratch including all the VNC connections etc, try Nou's script gitea.nouspiro.space/nou/astro-soft-build

Thanks

Alan
3 weeks 2 days ago #100101

thank's. I have the Stellarmate system and astroarch system. the focuscube v3 work's fine in 64 bits thanks a lot
3 weeks 1 day ago #100121

I am trying my new focuscube v3 in stellarmate and I am getting this error when I try to focus:

<code>2024-04-06T21:26:42: [ERROR] Focuser failed to move to new requested position.
2024-04-06T21:26:42: [ERROR] Error on move [Cmd=FM:116350 Res=116350]
2024-04-06T21:26:32: [ERROR] Relative ticks value must be greater than zero.
2024-04-06T21:26:28: [ERROR] Error on sync [Cmd=BL:1 Res=1] </code>

The focuser moves to position but seems unable to Sync.
Last edit: 3 weeks 12 hours ago by Raffaele.
3 weeks 12 hours ago #100143

Replied by Jasem Mutlaq on topic Pegasus FocusCube 3

Please enable INDI focus logging, then file a report at INDI Github so we can ask Pegasus to take a lool.
3 weeks 50 minutes ago #100162

I wonder why they don't release a 32-bit driver for this focuser, in case Pegasus Astro gives up a big chunk of the money.
2 weeks 3 days ago #100230

Ok I have sorted it out. It was a communication problem on my system.
The focuser with the new drivers is working perfectly.
1 week 4 days ago #100329

Time to create page: 0.773 seconds