INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

[Solved] Very slow manual control of EQMOD mount

• Thank you received: 50
Firstly the good news - I have had a successful week using KStars 3.6.9 and INDI 2.06 with two very different sets of equipment (powered by a Raspberry Pi 4 and a Raspberry Pi 5 using RPi OS 64 bit ‘Bookworm’) capturing comet 12P/Pons-Brooks!
The issue in the subject line refers to the manual steering of my two mounts, Sky-Watcher AZ-EQ5 and AZGTi, which both use EQMOD drivers. Whether using the virtual hand-controller, or else a Logitech F710 Gamepad joystick, there is a lot of latency (feels like seconds of time) between issuing a command and the resulting action. When capturing a comet, it is easy to steer automatically to centre the head of the comet in the FoV, but inevitably you may want to offset this point in the camera frame to capture more of the comet's tail, or to include another DSO such as in the case last week M101. Fine adjustments in position were difficult and imprecise due to the apparent hesitancy in the manual control. Am I overlooking a polling frequency setting somewhere?
Last edit: 1 month 13 hours ago by Avocette. Reason: Clarifications
1 month 1 day ago #99925

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 50
Just installed AstroArch 1.8 and I am very impressed! Three features have really elevated this new version for me - installing the image directly on my favourite Samsung 256GB Fit Plus USB stick was great; having a working local HDMI display option as well as WiFi hotspot noVNC remote desktop was super, and finally the speed of the GUI has solved completely the issue which started this post topic - both the virtual handset and joystick give instant manual control of the mount!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Stefan, Mattia, Stéphane Carlin
1 month 13 hours ago #99938

• Thank you received: 17
I am running Kstars 3.6.8 on an Rpi4 with an Ubuntu 22.04 OS. I have a CGEM DX mount and I am experiencing the same latency, fortunately I am not, currently, chasing comets. What is the solution in my case? Is the mod in an Indi Control setting, a driver or in Kstars/Ekos itself?
4 weeks 2 days ago #99956

• Thank you received: 17
I am still experiencing this latency in the response of the EKOS Mount Control 'widget', however the log shows that motion was initiated and motion completed within a range of 1 to 3 seconds (no other information is shown in the log). I tried changing the Indi files for the mount. I swapped the mount Indi files from a previous version of Kstars, but this did not change the programs response. There previously used to be a selection for the CGEM DX mount (in an earlier version of KSTARS ) the current versions list a different type of mount (CGEM HC), but the reference is to a file for the Celestron CGEM GPS mount. The mount identifies as a CGEM DX.

I did notice that before the mount can respond to a motion selection it must first stop "tracking" and then re-engage tracking after the motion. This may be the causer of some of the latency. I tried turning off tracking and then selecting a motion, but the latency was still there.

What is interesting is that PhD2 guides the mount fine, which means it is not experiencing the same latency.

I don't recall this level of latency in older version of Kstars, I will have to check thru all my old SD cards to see if I can recreate the way it used to work.

I would appreciate any input on this and particularly if updating to 3.6.9 resolves this problem. I will be doing that as soon as I back up my current working system.
3 weeks 3 days ago #100054

Time to create page: 0.553 seconds