INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Persistent Serial Port Mapping

• Thank you received: 7
Using IndiLib on RPi, KStars/Ekos on Mac and an iEQ45 mount, I can't get persistent serial port mapping to work.

Setup rules.d as described in indilib.org/support/tutorials/157-persis...al-port-mapping.html

astronomy.rules:
On the RPi, relevant bit of ls /dev output givesAlthough on the screen most other devices (and all other tty devices) are in yellow text but the "ttymount" is in turquoise text (so something different.

Set the iEQ45 config to connect on "ttymount" but when I start IndiLib from Ekos I get
And the connection config reverts to ttyUSB0.

It then works fine over ttyUSB0 (as I'm building up my config getting it working step by step and this is the first serial port so no ambiguity (at the moment, hence wanting to setup persistent serial port for the future ...)

My (beginner) impression:
the rules.d file seems to be working as it created the "ttymount" device (but I have no idea how to test it outside Indilib) and am unsure exactly what might be causing the error (maybe it's not that the port can't be found?)

Any ideas what I might be doing wrong. Or what to try next?

Edit: Just noticed in the Ekos mount tab I get(Though I expect that is expected given the other reported errors.

Many thanks
Ian
Last edit: 3 years 5 months ago by Ian.
3 years 5 months ago #60833

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 9
Try to post the output of

ls -l /dev/ttymount
3 years 5 months ago #60839

Replied by Ian on topic Persistent Serial Port Mapping

Output
On the RPi (currently) the only USB device plugged-in is the Future Technology Devices Serial adapter (though internally the ethernet seems connected via the USB hub). lsusb output
Many thanks
Ian
3 years 5 months ago #60869

• Thank you received: 27

Replied by PDB on topic Persistent Serial Port Mapping

Hi,

on my system I use subsystem=tty and that works. (I dont use MODE parameter either but that shouldn't harm anything)
so try changing to:

SUBSYSTEMS=="tty", ATTRS{idVendor}=="0403", ATTRS{idProduct}=="6001", ATTRS{serial}=="A104E4YQ", MODE="0666", SYMLINK+="ttymount"

Regards,

Paul
3 years 5 months ago #60871

When I change to that same issue in Ekos (can't find ttymount, searching then finding the only plugged-in serial port ttyUSB0) but also, in a terminal window if I do a ls /dev there is no ttymount listed (where previously it was listed but in a different colour).

Ian
3 years 5 months ago #60874

At least on the RPI4 running Ubuntu 20 (64-bit) it is working. What OS are you running. (different flavours, different issues)
My mistake: it should be SUBSYSTEM not SUBSYSTEMS in that case.

My system
The udev rules:
ubuntu@indi:/lib/udev/rules.d$ more 99-serial.rules
SUBSYSTEM=="tty", ATTRS{idVendor}=="0403", ATTRS{idProduct}=="6015", ATTRS{serial}=="UPB2409XH9", SYMLINK+="UPB2"
SUBSYSTEM=="tty", ATTRS{idVendor}=="0403", ATTRS{idProduct}=="6015", ATTRS{serial}=="PA3FGRBA", SYMLINK+="FOCUSCUBE"
SUBSYSTEM=="tty", ATTRS{idVendor}=="0403", ATTRS{idProduct}=="6001", ATTRS{serial}=="AM00GZ1Z", SYMLINK+="iOptron"

Before connecting the iOptron
ubuntu@indi:/lib/udev/rules.d$ ls /dev/iO*
ls: cannot access '/dev/iO*': No such file or directory
after connecting the iOptron
ubuntu@indi:/lib/udev/rules.d$ ls /dev/iO*
/dev/iOptron

P.
3 years 5 months ago #60875

I'm using RPi3 running Raspbian (latest version, recent update)

Tried changing MODE= to be 0777 (in case execute made any difference) - no change

Tried changing SYSTEMS to SYSTEM and error reported was
Interestingly a search looking for hints on rules.d under Debian results seem to use SUBSYSTEM (rather than SUBSYSTEMS). Soome to only create the device under /dev with the plural form.
Using as per original udev rules line, then doing udevadm info -n -a /dev/ttymount the initial output isFull output in attached file (in case something further down is relevant), But (recognising bt beginner experience with Linux) that suggests the ttymount does link to the physical device (the FDTI USB serial adapter).

(thanks for your ongoing help)

Ian
3 years 5 months ago #60880
Attachments:

Think I had the same error when running on raspbian but can't remember the exact details.
I would expext a link created like this:

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 7 Sep 30 17:19 /dev/iOptron -> ttyUSB0 (or whatever ttydevice the ioptron is mounted to)

if you issue a dmesg command just after plugging in the mount what do you get?

when I do that I get
[ 5456.846844] usb 1-1.2: new full-speed USB device number 4 using xhci_hcd
[ 5456.962972] usb 1-1.2: New USB device found, idVendor=0403, idProduct=6001, bcdDevice= 6.00
[ 5456.962988] usb 1-1.2: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=3
[ 5456.962999] usb 1-1.2: Product: FT232R USB UART
[ 5456.963010] usb 1-1.2: Manufacturer: FTDI
[ 5456.963020] usb 1-1.2: SerialNumber: AM00GZ1Z
[ 5456.969766] ftdi_sio 1-1.2:1.0: FTDI USB Serial Device converter detected
[ 5456.969934] usb 1-1.2: Detected FT232RL
[ 5456.973876] usb 1-1.2: FTDI USB Serial Device converter now attached to ttyUSB0

and then udev links (symbolic link) to /dev/iOptron

It's strange on your machine it point to a gpio (which I thought is the gpio pins on the raspberry, but I might be wrong here)

P.
3 years 5 months ago #60881

It's strange on your machine it point to a gpio (which I thought is the gpio pins on the raspberry, but I might be wrong here)

P.[/quote]
I agree. Although further down the "parent chain" it seemed to get to an FTDI device the start to gpio looked very wrong.

Do a bit more searching and I found a site suggestingand it was the KERNEL bit (rather than SUBSYSTEMS) that interested me so I triedI don't understand this stuff so I'm just repeating bits of what others are suggesting and it looks like that seems to work - starting Ekos (with ttymount set as the serial port) seeks to not report issues and I can drive the mount (N/S/E/W - issues with everything "below the horizon" at the moment but GPS can't work indoors and still investigating cause ... but that's another issue).

If you/anybody thinks this wrong and wants me to try anything else I'm very happy to experiment further. I am getting a large number of timeout errors (but I think I got those on ttyUSB0 - but that's think so more playing around and experimenting and a separate issue).
On the assumption this is "the answer", is this thread enough to pass the info to others or does the tutorial need updating.

Thanks
Ian
3 years 5 months ago #60883

• Thank you received: 42
You can confirm it works when defining it manually.

sudo unlink /dev/ttymount
sudo ln -s /dev/ttyUSB0 /dev/ttymount
ls -l /dev/ttymount should show /dev/ttyUSB0

Then in the connection tab use /dev/ttymount (include /dev and no hyphen in tty-mount)
3 years 5 months ago #60884

Ok, I did a few tests.
Connecting the FTDI also creates a /dev/gpiochip device. I don't have to much knowledge on that, but I think that is a device file talking directly on USB level, nott via the usb-serial convertor which create a /dev/ttyUSB type device.
So your udev seems to link to the wrong one (which makes the ioctl go wrong, because it's not serial protocol)

I would try the SUBSYSTEM=="tty" or SUBSYSTEMS=='usb-serial' in the rules fike.

Don't forget to restart udev after every change: udevadm control --reload-rules && udevadm trigger

Paul
3 years 5 months ago #60889

I'd previously tried both of those (got the usb-serial from a bit of search engine use) - but in both cases the symbolic persistent name was not created. Unfortunately my limited Linux knowledge is such that I don't know how to get any error logs.

Ian
3 years 5 months ago #60891

Time to create page: 1.641 seconds