INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

About to give up this hobby or setup...

• Thank you received: 223
Right, tonight I had enough, really had enough.

Polar alignment : f...ed up
Atik 314: not working after 10 min
QHY5: poor quality
Atik Titan: never worked under Indi, hence I had to move to the QHY5

The only thing that actually works is the work I've put into building this observatory.
The roof works well, the roof sensors work nicely, my scripts works, the Odroid C1 work perfectly.

So either I give up this hobby entirely or I need to reconsider the mount/telescope setup.
5 years 4 months ago #32721

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 41
How about switching to INDIGO www.indigo-astronomy.org/ ?
Give it a try and compare.
5 years 4 months ago #32731

• Thank you received: 301
Courage! You need a stable software. Forget system updates, forget indi or ekos updates once you have something that works.
I suggest building everything from source, so that you may be able to mark save points and roll back to them to secure your sessions.
I'm also about to install a roll-away obs in my garden, I need more efficiency against clouds.
5 years 4 months ago #32732

Thanks but I've never heard of it, and not about to change at this present time.
5 years 4 months ago #32737

It all comes from www.indilib.org/forum/ekos/4299-polar-al...-total-disaster.html which apparently I got hit by a bug I didn't know about.
I should have brought up my other equipment with me. So yeah, this isn't a good night for me at all. The worse ever since I started.
Now it's all and good for a lot of you guys with mounts just 30 yards away in the back garden.... I got a 400+ miles journey... so when you leave stuff behind... it really really sucks. I will sleep over it and see how I feel in the morning. Going to re-assess the all thing.
5 years 4 months ago #32739

• Thank you received: 76
Dont give up :-)

Yes find a stable build and stick with it for a while.
5 years 4 months ago #32740

• Thank you received: 66
Definitely get rid of the QHY. I have ZWO ASI120mm and works like a charm and very dependable. An astro buddy finally ditched his QHY and got a ZWO and now he's happy.

I though you were a developer. if not, then save your grey matter by buying Stellarmate (and don't - whatever you do - click that update button! ;-)
5 years 4 months ago #32742

• Thank you received: 812
I will be glad to rebuild the Mac beta version when Jasem says he's fixed the bug.
5 years 4 months ago #32745

• Thank you received: 301

This is in my opinion by far the most ambitious task a hobbyist astronomer can embark on. I said that already, but you have all my respect for this. Plus, your setup is just amazingly superb. Just don't trust software to help you.
5 years 4 months ago #32749

I'm going to attempt to PHD the mount this evening, I think I might have a clear night ahead of me.
Also reset the observatory position(box physical alignment, mount pier too), mount etc... so all set for later on.
5 years 4 months ago #32753

• Thank you received: 76
Actually getting the right combination of hardware is probably the main thing too. I used to use an old ASI120MM as a guide camera but it was very unreliable. Only connecting to INDI about 50% of the time. It was the weak link in the chain and once it failed, thats it... The only way to 'reset' it was a hard reboot of the main PC it was plugged into which meant a total close up of the observatory. I believe the newer ASI120 cameras are better hardware wise but I got rid of it and now use a lodestar and now my entire setup is much much more reliable.
Anyway, my point is, if you have some hardware thats not 100% reliable with INDI then it will become the weak link in the chain and mess everything up. Maybe like what pentaxian23 says, get rid of the qhy?

I'm not quite like you with a 400+ mile journey :-) I've only got a 30+mile journey but I feel your pain getting everything running smoothly fully unattended. Once you do get everything settled and stable,,, dont change anything unless you really really need to.
5 years 4 months ago #32755

The QHY5 is going to be replaced, that's for sure. And you're right, if there is one weak link.... the chain breaks.
5 years 4 months ago #32756

Time to create page: 0.393 seconds