INDI Library v1.8.0 is Released (27 Jul 2019)

INDI Library v1.8.0 is mostly a maintenance release to fix a few bugs in several drivers.

Slow Live View Frame Rate and Manual Focusing?

• Thank you received: 16

Slow Live View Frame Rate and Manual Focusing? was created by werper

There's got to be something I'm doing wrong: The live view in my rig has about a 15 second delay, rendering it all but useless for manually focusing my Canon T31/600D. Preview during a sequence slows the system to a crawl as it sops shooting while the preview image is being transferred. I run two RPIs distributed, one for the Canon camera, the second for guide cam and mount control. The guide cam is plugged into a powered USB hub, which is plugged into my "guide PI". The mount (iOptron iEQ45 Pro) is also plugged directly into the guide PI. The Canon is plugged directly into the second, "camera PI". These two PIs (both running Stellarmate OS) are configured and controlled over a dedicated WIFI, by a Win 7 laptop running Kstars/Ekos. Ekos see's the pair of PIs as one - the distributed networking seems to work perfectly once you have everything configured and the SSH command syntax worked out correctly. To speed up sequences, I have preview images turned off because the system doesn't shoot while a preview image is being transferred to Ekos on the laptop, thus leaving me blind.

I'm SO close to getting this rig up 100% and I've spent the last six months learning Kstars/Ekos, but this problem has me stumped and feeling crippled when using Indi/Kstars/Ekos. Obviously, being able to focus is fundamental and required for success. It's also nice to see the shots as they are taken, but not if it means there's a one minute pause between frames while the preview transfers over the network.

How are people focusing manually using Ekos? Am I doing something wrong? Is there a network setting I may have set incorrectly slowing down the network (I use a dedicated network router, not connected to the Internet, used only for my AP rig) or something on the RPI or in Ekos?
Celestron C8-N
iOptron iEQ45 Pro
Two Stellarmate Rasberry Pis - Distributed
Dedicated WiFi Network
Canon T3i DSLR - Primary Cam
QHY5L-II-M - Guide Cam
Astromania 60 Guide Scope
Last edit: 3 months 5 days ago by werper.
3 months 1 week ago #38807

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by knro on topic Slow Live View Frame Rate and Manual Focusing?

What FPS are you getting with this? It appears that the transfer rate is not fast enough to keep with the acquisition rate?

There is a setting in "Streaming" tab called Divisor. If you set it to 2, it will skip every other frame and this might help a bit. You can play with this until you get an acceptable balance between acquisition and transfer rates.
Jasem Mutlaq
Support INDI & Ekos; Get StellarMate Astrophotography Gadget.
How to Submit Logs when you have problems?
Add your observatory info
3 months 1 week ago #38810

Replied by werper on topic Slow Live View Frame Rate and Manual Focusing?

Thanks Jasem, I'll give it a try on my next evening out and let you know if it helps.
Celestron C8-N
iOptron iEQ45 Pro
Dedicated WiFi Network
QHY5L-II-M - Guide Cam
3 months 1 week ago #38811

Replied by werper on topic Slow Live View Frame Rate and Manual Focusing?

I discovered the problem with slow live video was the Encoder setting under the Streaming tab. When I switch the Encoder to MJPEG
(RAW was the default) I can get a good 14-15 frames per second which is good, so problem solved for live video and hopefully focusing. Now I need to get around the slow previewing during a sequence. With preview on, there's about a 45-60 second delay between shots as the preview image is transferred over the WiFi to my laptop, which wastes too much valuable imaging time. With preview off, one shot is taken right after another in quick succession but then I'm blind - which is no good either. I have yet to find a work-around or solution. Any tips are appreciated.
Celestron C8-N
iOptron iEQ45 Pro
Dedicated WiFi Network
QHY5L-II-M - Guide Cam
Last edit: 3 months 5 days ago by werper.
3 months 6 days ago #39024

Time to create page: 0.760 seconds