INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

No meridian flip with Losmandy mount

• Thank you received: 9
Which version of ekos, and indi do you have?
6 months 1 week ago #96590

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 1
Hi James my versión off KSTARS is 3.6.3 stable. The versión off Indi is ultimate and ekos no lo sé.
6 months 1 week ago #96605

• Thank you received: 62
Hi!
To the best of my knowledge (due to a heavy storm, I can not access my mount for the moment, it is all packed down), I do not have the flip command. I run Gemini level 4, and as far as I understand, the flip command was introduced in level 5 - correct? So which version of Gemini do you run, Juanjo?

I'll check my GoTo limits when getting the mount up again.

Best,
Magnus
The following user(s) said Thank You: Juanjo Herrera
6 months 1 week ago #96607

Hello, that's the problem!!! They have introduced modifications for Gemini 2 users and they have annoyed us with Gemini I, of which I have version V. I have repeated on several occasions in the forum that in previous versions of Indi everything works, the park function and I don't know if the flipping was implemented but the mount flipped. Now it doesn't and I sincerely think that the creators of Indi should check it. It's not enough to say that we should go to the losmandy forums because it is NOT the mount, gentlemen, it is the new versions of Indi.
6 months 1 week ago #96608

I thank you Magnus for sending me the goto limits that you have on your mount to check with mine if it actually makes the meridian change.
6 months 1 week ago #96609

• Thank you received: 370

"The creators of INDI" is group of enthusiast that are doing this in their spare time and have to rely upon their own hardware. If nobody from Losmandy is updating the driver, we need somebody with such a mount that does the coding or at least assists for that.

As far as I understand from Magnus' initial post, the problem is, that even if the mount is post the meridian, a simple GOTO to this position does not trigger a meridian flip. We need to find a safe way how convince the mount that it's time to flip. This seems to be a special problem with the Gemini I, since Gemini II seems to have this "force flip" feature.

Therefore, to drill the problem down to the question, what is the appropriate way to issue a flip for Gemini I. If we know this, we could try to modify the driver to use this.

I could try to assist, but since I do not have a Losmandy mount, I cannot test it.

Cheers
Wolfgang
6 months 6 days ago #96626

Good morning Wolfgang, thank you for your answer. I understand that this software that I find great will become without profit and with the little time you have. I personally thank you for your work. For me it is very convenient to work with a single software that implements everything and allows me to work with scheduled and remote sessions. For that reason I started with it last year and with my Losmandy mount G11 with Gemini I, and everything was fine, especially the Park function that is fundamental to end the session with tranquility. However with the snuevas versions of Indi, this function does not go well and is interrupted and yet before parked well and also does with Ascom software. As for the voltage of the meridian, as work with exoplanets and it takes a lot of time to follow, although I start to the East finally crosses the meridian and continues until reaching the limit of the West and fortunately does not collide with the mount.
Other times the mount makes the goto according to Kstars and starts past the meridian, but of course if you have to take almost 5 hours it also reaches the West boundary. In these cases I am thinking of stopping the session and sending the telescope further east, and continuing with the previous work, although if it coincides that the transit of the exoplanet is at that moment ruins the entire session. I stand at your disposal to do whatever tests you tell me, or that you think you should, waiting for the weather to improve as I have everything mounted on column and covered with tarps by rain. Thank you and a greeting
6 months 5 days ago #96663

It would be very helpful to know the last version of indi that worked, and the first version that stopped working.

Just a wild, guess, but I do see a change that happened for version v1.8.7 of indi:
"Fixed Losmandy Gemini failed to complete park issue (#1239)"

If you can identify the version that broke parking, then we will have a better idea of what caused the regression.

BTW I also volunteer my time to contribute to indi. I don't have a Gemini 1 system, so I can not test.

Jamie
6 months 5 days ago #96676

Good morning James, I thank you again for your interest and your response. I don't know which version of Indi is in which it works, but it's a version from a year ago. I also don't know how to see the version I currently have, but it has to be from the last ones. I believe that at some point a change was made in the Indi controller for Losmandy, to adapt it to Gemini 2, and for some reason the engines do not act the same, because the displacement to the Home position begins, and in the few seconds shows "Motor Stall Ar." However the Goto scrolls to any part of the sky do them correctly without any error.I'm gonna try to figure out what version of kstars-Indi the parking lot of the telescope works on. A greeting
6 months 4 days ago #96684

In my opinion the gemini driver should be split into two drivers. One for the Gemini I, and one for the Gemini II. The one for the Gemini I should be restored to an earlier version if we can verify that there is a regression. Ideally this should be done by someone who has access to a Gemini I system so that it can be thoroughly unit tested. Unfortunately I do not have a Gemini I system to test it on. I will see if I can find someone local that does though. In the meantime it would be very helpful if we can verify the regression, and identify the version where the regression occurred. I'm not sure if this is something you can help with Juanjo, but if you could that would be great. If you do decide to help I'll have to know what OS you are running indi on.

Jamie
6 months 1 day ago #96732

Hello again James, that's what I think, there has to be a driver for Gemini I and another for Gemini 2. For my part there is no problem in helping and collaborating in the recovery of the old INDI driver, I have a mandy G11 with Gemini 1 and work with the software Linux Ubuntu version 20.04.6LTS Fossa Focal. I also work with Linux Mint, but my knowledge of linux is somewhat basic.

Juanjo
6 months 1 day ago #96745

• Thank you received: 62
Hi!
I promised to share my limits. The attached image is a photo of the HC.

I'm running Gemini 2 level 4 (have not done the more complicated upgrade since the mount works flawlessly as is). And meridian flips have so far not been a problem.

Magnus
Last edit: 6 months 10 hours ago by Magnus Larsson.
6 months 10 hours ago #96765
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.789 seconds