×

INDI Library v1.7.8 Released (11 May 2019)

Mid year release of INDI Library v1.7.8 comes with a few drivers and improvements to to existing drivers.

EQMOD trough AstroEQ : Sideral track KO

  • Posts: 9
  • Thank you received: 1

Replied by newil86 on topic EQMOD trough AstroEQ : Sideral track KO

nikiosna wrote: I build my AstroEQ a year ago and can say after a bugfix ( this thread )
in the indi-eqmod-module it works very well. I build it on an arduino mega 2560 and the first connection fails every time but it automatically connects again and everything works. Currently I try to get my guiding more stable which can be very tricky. I didn't have any problems with tracking: I right-click on a position in kstars, select EQMod->track and it works.

Also I can recommend the custom pulleys for the EQ5 in the AstroEQ project.


Hello! I use latest indi lib. Compiled from source. This bugfix exist. But I cant start tracking. Its work only if I turn left or right navigation buttons in Ekos.
Example:
1. Start Indi server on Raspberry PI
2. Connect from KStars. Open Ekos
3. Click on Mount Tab
4. Click Tracking On (Tracking not start)
5. Open Mount Control - Click Left or Right (RA axis) for a short time. Tracking is start!

Arduino Mega 2560 with A4988

P.S. I noticed a strange behavior. After Parking On and Off - tracking can operate at "high speed". Randomly
P.S.S. Sorry for may bad English
1 year 3 months ago #23430

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • Posts: 16
  • Thank you received: 2

Replied by nikiosna on topic EQMOD trough AstroEQ : Sideral track KO

You should make a debug log of the indi-eqmod-module ( link ). I can then compare it to my logs. Then we should know whether the bug is in indi or your astroeq.
I use the DRV8825 stepper drivers and had sometimes problems with the adjustment of the motor current but if you mount slews normal this should be okay.
1 year 3 months ago #23431

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • Posts: 9
  • Thank you received: 1

Replied by newil86 on topic EQMOD trough AstroEQ : Sideral track KO

nikiosna wrote: You should make a debug log of the indi-eqmod-module ( link ). I can then compare it to my logs. Then we should know whether the bug is in indi or your astroeq.
I use the DRV8825 stepper drivers and had sometimes problems with the adjustment of the motor current but if you mount slews normal this should be okay.


Thanks. I will make log today.
1 year 3 months ago #23432

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • Posts: 9
  • Thank you received: 1

Replied by newil86 on topic EQMOD trough AstroEQ : Sideral track KO

nikiosna wrote: I build my AstroEQ a year ago and can say after a bugfix ( this thread )
in the indi-eqmod-module it works very well. I build it on an arduino mega 2560 and the first connection fails every time but it automatically connects again and everything works. Currently I try to get my guiding more stable which can be very tricky. I didn't have any problems with tracking: I right-click on a position in kstars, select EQMod->track and it works.

Also I can recommend the custom pulleys for the EQ5 in the AstroEQ project.


This is my log from Ekos.
When I click on start tracking button motor takes a step and stop. After I click Right Button and motor start tracking...
1 year 3 months ago #23438
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • Posts: 16
  • Thank you received: 2

Replied by nikiosna on topic EQMOD trough AstroEQ : Sideral track KO

Ok I can confirm that in this situation tracking doesn't start. I never experienced this because I almost always make a slew before the tracking.
In my logfile I parked and unparked the mount and then tracking works.
I don't know much about the eqmod-protocoll but I think that the mount says
[COMM] read_eqmod: \"=101\", 5 bytes read
when the tracking doesn't start
[COMM] read_eqmod: \"=301\", 5 bytes read
when it works

File Attachment:

File Name: log_09-12-16.txt
File Size:290 KB
The following user(s) said Thank You: newil86
Last edit: 1 year 3 months ago by nikiosna.
1 year 3 months ago #23464
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • Posts: 9
  • Thank you received: 1

Replied by newil86 on topic EQMOD trough AstroEQ : Sideral track KO

nikiosna wrote: Ok I can confirm that in this situation tracking doesn't start. I never experienced this because I almost always make a slew before the tracking.
In my logfile I parked and unparked the mount and then tracking works.
I don't know much about the eqmod-protocoll but I think that the mount says

[COMM] read_eqmod: \"=101\", 5 bytes read
when the tracking doesn't start
[COMM] read_eqmod: \"=301\", 5 bytes read
when it works

File Attachment:

File Name: log_09-12-16.txt
File Size:290 KB


Thanks! I'll investigate source code github.com/indilib/indi/tree/master/3rdparty/indi-eqmod and github.com/TCWORLD/AstroEQ . Maybe I'll found a problem...
1 year 3 months ago #23466

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • Posts: 133
  • Karma: 2
  • Thank you received: 37

Replied by Gilles on topic EQMOD trough AstroEQ : Sideral track KO

thank you guys !
i thought i was alone with that problem...
I have not found anything so far, and i gave up.

BTW : may i recommend much better drivers ?
TMC2100 are soooooo smooth and silent !
A4988 are in trash now :cheer:

Gilles
1 year 3 months ago #23493

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • Posts: 16
  • Thank you received: 2

Replied by nikiosna on topic EQMOD trough AstroEQ : Sideral track KO

The TMC2100 sounds very interesting. Are they really more silent? Because my steppers with the DRV8825 sometimes are so loud that I hope it does not disturb the neighbors.
1 year 3 months ago #23507

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • Posts: 183
  • Karma: 16
  • Thank you received: 68

Replied by geehalel on topic EQMOD trough AstroEQ : Sideral track KO

Hi,
The reason why it works in one case and not another one is that AstroEQ does not implement the same state machine as the skywatcher firmware. Actually AstroEQ is based on the ASCOM eqmod driver and its message exchange. The problem here is that start tracking requires the motor controller to be in low speed mode. This mode corresponds to the first 1 in the mount answer you gave. The Indi driver does not set the mode if the motor controller is already in the desired one because this is unuseful with the skywatcher firmware. AstroEQ seems to require that the mode be always set before sending a start command, thus it does not start motor in the first case. In the second case, as the mode differs, the indi driver sets the mode before starting motor and that works.
I'm not sure if changing the indi driver would be so simple as ASCOM eqmod is closed source, I really think the best would be that AstroEQ implements the skywatcher protocol as the protocol has been described by skywatcher itself. I already changed the indi eqmod driver to fit AstroEQ requirement (was forcing the motor controller in low speed mode after a move, even if this is the default behavior of the skywatvher firmware). You point another issue here, I don't know how to solve it simply, and i'm not sure if there won't be another issues later.
Jean-Luc.

newil86 wrote:

nikiosna wrote: Ok I can confirm that in this situation tracking doesn't start. I never experienced this because I almost always make a slew before the tracking.
In my logfile I parked and unparked the mount and then tracking works.
I don't know much about the eqmod-protocoll but I think that the mount says

[COMM] read_eqmod: \"=101\", 5 bytes read
when the tracking doesn't start
[COMM] read_eqmod: \"=301\", 5 bytes read
when it works

File Attachment:

File Name: log_09-12-16.txt
File Size:290 KB


Thanks! I'll investigate source code github.com/indilib/indi/tree/master/3rdparty/indi-eqmod and github.com/TCWORLD/AstroEQ . Maybe I'll found a problem...

The following user(s) said Thank You: Gilles, nikiosna, newil86
1 year 3 months ago #23508

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • Posts: 133
  • Karma: 2
  • Thank you received: 37

Replied by Gilles on topic EQMOD trough AstroEQ : Sideral track KO

nikiosna wrote: The TMC2100 sounds very interesting. Are they really more silent? Because my steppers with the DRV8825 sometimes are so loud that I hope it does not disturb the neighbors.

Oh yes !!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: nikiosna
1 year 3 months ago #23510

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.906 seconds