INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

GPS Dongle - Does it need a position lock to show up?

• Thank you received: 0
I recently got Stellarmate working off of an SD card on an Rpi-4. Everything is working well and now I'm waiting for a clear night to take it outside.
I purchased a GPS dongle off Amazon (a.co/d/1ygJI1E). This dongle is showing up on "lsusb" in the terminal, as well as in the kstars "Tools>Devices>Device Manager" under "GPS Dongle".
There are two options in the Device Manager - Client and Server. The Device Manager recognizes the GPS dongle, but when I open Ekos and the INDI device drivers, the dongle doesn't show up. Also, I'm not sure where to check if kstars or ekos is using the GPS dongle.
One possible issue is that I haven't taken the GPS outside yet, so it hasn't been able to get a position lock. Does the GPS dongle start showing up on Ekos only after it is able to get a position lock?
Thanks in advance for any help.
5 months 2 weeks ago #97152

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 6
Yes, the GPS dongle should show up on the Indi page without a lock. My dongle is a different brand to yours but looks similar. What driver do you use, I use"GPSD". Hope this helps.
5 months 2 weeks ago #97162

It didn't say it needed a driver. Where to install it?
5 months 2 weeks ago #97164

• Thank you received: 6
Everything on your rig needs a driver. In the Ekos profile page under accessories there is a long list of drivers and near the end there is GPSD.
Mike
5 months 2 weeks ago #97167

OK, the other four components drivers must have automagically appeared. I'll look for it next time I fire the system up.
5 months 2 weeks ago #97168

Figured it out. Needed to edit the profile and add the USB GPS as an Auxiliary device. . .
5 months 2 weeks ago #97192

Time to create page: 0.592 seconds