INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Advice focusing with EKOS focus app

• Thank you received: 3
I completed a trial run of my set up with results. I was able to 'program' the sequencer to 3 targets and capture 75 x 40 second images. There was no guiding. One significant issue was the focus. I do not have a mechanical focuser. Is there a way I can use the focus app and focus manually?
I suspect that 'movie' may be too slow a capture to get an image. Is there a way to boost the gain while focusing? Is this even the right track to be trying?
I was hoping that if I used the app and monitored tor 'minimum' I could use the app to get a better focus. Is this feasable? What do I have to configure to get it to work.
1 year 3 days ago #92329

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 31
Sure - I have used the Focus tab without a motorized focuser. Not sure if it would work right within a sequence, though - I'm not sure how it would tell the sequencer that focusing was completed.
For manual, usually just take individual frames. "Full frame" is as helpful for manual focusing as it is for autofocus.
You can always set a higher gain (and binning, if you want) in the Focus tab. when the Capture tab takes over again it will re-set the gain for you.
1 year 2 days ago #92333

Thank you. I was not planning on using it within a sequence. I noticed after my trial runs that the focuse was soft. I was mainly looking for a better focus. I have not had good luck with B masks; I was looking for an alternative. The focus app seemed to offer a good alternative.
Does the focuser report a number? If so I can find a close point on both sides of optimum and then carefully walk it to the min.
With 2350mm commercial optics do you have any idea what an star image size actually is?
1 year 2 days ago #92334

• Thank you received: 281
Hi Dan,

Setup the focus params you want - e.g. exposure, gain, etc?

You could try the framing option - top circled button. It will repeatedly take frames until you hit "stop". These are displayed in the v-Curve as a time sequence moving from left to right with the y-axis being HFR. In this image I started at focus, moved away (HFR increasing) then moved back into focus (HFR decreasing).

Hope this helps.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Juergen_from_Bavaria, Dan Sawyer
1 year 2 days ago #92351
Attachments:

Thank you. This is exactly what I needed. We are scheduled to have a couple of clear nights later in the week and I will try this and let you know.
1 year 2 days ago #92372

Thank you. I was able to try thiis last night. I made an error and used the auto focus button rather that the continous button. Given that it looked like it was working. My touching the focus know purturbed the image and it was haft to get a current reading or see a pattern. Given that it looked like with care it would work. What ia a good focus value to achieve?
11 months 3 weeks ago #92508

• Thank you received: 281
The HFR values are in units of pixel size so you can't directly compare HFR values from one setup to the next. I wouldn't worry too much about the absolute number, just try and get the minimum at the time. As environmental factors like seeing change you will notice smaller (better) HFRs or bigger (worse) values, but for focus its just about getting the minimum at that moment.
11 months 3 weeks ago #92512

Time to create page: 0.857 seconds