INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Mount slewing to crazy places

• Thank you received: 76
A couple of weeks ago I rebuilt my main PC which runs kstars, indi and controls everything in my observatory.
Since doing this I cannot get my mount to behave. I'm currently wasting my 3rd clear night trying to sort this out and now I'm looking for help / tips.

I thought I had it sorted a few days ago and parked the scope. I've tried a lot of the location settings for "mount updates kstars" and "Kstars updates mount" but can't get it working.

When I unpark the scope. The red cursor in kstars goes to a crazy position below the horizion. so I manually sync to my park position Which is the eastern horizion. Sync works fine, then I go to slew to a nearby star maybe 10/15 degrees away and the mount starts slewing all over the place. Twice it crashed into the pier and I had to cut the power to the mount to avoid damage.

I can't understand what is going on because prior to rebuilding my PC from ubuntu 20.04 to 22.04 everything was fine even though my kstars was a bit old. Here's a screenshot of my mount location, kstars location and datetime. Anything jump out to anyone? Its driving me crazy at this stage and I consider(ed) myself to be a competent INDI / Kstars user (until now)
Thanks,
Derek
5 months 1 week ago #97196
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by Derek on topic Mount slewing to crazy places

Another strange thing. Not sure if this is significant but I just did a capture-and-solve with the align feature. Then immediately another one and the error on the second one is half a million arc seconds out but the time between the two solves was less than 10seconds

5 months 1 week ago #97197
Attachments:

Replied by Derek on topic Mount slewing to crazy places

I just see in my first screenshot the mount's UTC time was wrong. My mount has a GPS which makes this strange.
I've just fixed that now by getting kstars to update the mount. Powered off *everything* started up again and I think the problem is solved!!!
5 months 1 week ago #97201

• Thank you received: 6
I struggled with a similar problem on my system. I use a GPS too and found that even though I have " GPS updates Kstars" ticked and the Gps has a fix it is necessary to press the GPS refresh button on the GPSD maiin page of the INDI control panel. Otherwise the LT on the Katars page does not update.
5 months 1 week ago #97213

• Thank you received: 0
I have similar issue with my Celestron CGEM II, when I manage it through WiFi, but not when I use the hand control. Do you use WiFi or hand control?
5 months 1 week ago #97218

With StellarMate, the OS is configured so that the system time is updated from the GPS on startup (and also if GPSD driver is selected as well). Are you still on SM OS 1.7.5 or using recent versions?
5 months 1 week ago #97232

• Thank you received: 0
I’m using OS 1.7.9 in a Raspberrry Pi 4.
5 months 1 week ago #97239

Time to create page: 0.471 seconds