INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Digital Dome Works - does this work?

• Thank you received: 168
Thank you very much for testing, it seems the driver is now ready to land in main INDI repository for wider testing as well. As for the following of scope I haven't implemented the built-in LX200 style mount attitude interception mode but using the generic slaving method in INDI should work as that's handled by the dome base class, the driver just needs to implement absolute goto command.
3 years 2 months ago #66768

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 2
I was attempting to get the dome to follow the scope simulator. Should that work, or do you need to make some updates?

Thanks.
3 years 2 months ago #66799

It should work, the dome driver doesn't need to do anything for it except to implement absolute azimuth go to. You just need to configure the snooped telescope device to correct device (telescope simulator) in the options tab of DDW driver in INDI panel and fill in the slaving parameters (dome size, telescope offsets etc.) and enable slaving from slaving tab.

Btw. the driver has now been merged to main repository so it will appear in nightly builds shortly. Thanks again for the help :)
3 years 2 months ago #66801

I just happen to notice the dome is parking and closing in 10 minutes if it doesn't receive a command. I probably didn't notice it earlier because I was always sending commands, trying something, etc.

I opened the shutter and moved it a little ways in az and started a stop watch. After 10 minutes the dome moved to the park position and closed the shutter.
3 years 2 months ago #66802

I should have mentioned that when I did the "stop watch test" I had shut-down KStars and did a restart. There was no scope sim involved.
3 years 2 months ago #66803

Oh, thanks for the heads up, DDW documentation mentions this: "In the observatory, the DDW processor looks for queries from the DDW Control Program. If it receives none in eight minutes, DDW will interpret that as a communication failure, and will rotate the dome to HOME, close the shutter, and turn off the SLAVE function. Before this closure takes place, there is an audible warning given by the buzzer. Four minutes after the dome is HOME and the shutter closed, a park command will be sent to an attached LX-200. During the eight minute timeout, any hand control command will restart the timer from zero. ". I'll add a watchdog to poll the status every minute or so to keep the connection alive.
3 years 2 months ago #66806

I tried both the Telescope Sim and a real scope. I could not get the dome to follow. I had Slaving enabled and was snooping on the appropriate scope.

Bob
3 years 2 months ago #66808

Ok, let me dig a bit deeper then, do you happen to have a log from that test?
3 years 2 months ago #66809

Here's what I have. If these aren't sufficient I can run another test and make sure all the debugs are activated.

File Attachment:

File Name: log1.log
File Size:1 KB

File Attachment:

File Name: log2.log
File Size:0 KB

File Attachment:

File Name: log3.log
File Size:1 KB
3 years 2 months ago #66811
Attachments:

Thanks, they are a bit short, but do show correct snooping device for mount, but for some reason only for parking status and not properties needed for slaving:
DEBUG 57.444339 sec : Active Snoop, driver: Telescope Simulator, property: TELESCOPE_PARK

There should be more of them (EQUATORIAL_EOD_COORD, GEOGRAPHIC_COORD and TELESCOPE_PIER_SIDE). Anyway, if you could get some logs with both mount and dome debug enabled including unparking both mount and dome, that might bring some light into this. Thanks!
3 years 2 months ago #66812

I can do that. I just ran another test with Telescope Sim and noticed that, when I clicked on the Enable Slaving button, nothing showed up in the Dome log.
3 years 2 months ago #66813

OK. Lot of logs but I don't know how much help they will be. It may be that what does not appear in the logs may be more important.

In the dome logs, when I enable or disable slaving, nothing appears. When I change telescopes nothing appears in the dome logs recorded to disk.

I do see some feedback in the server logs that I captured and added to the logs stored on disk. There is an example in the last file for both the dome and telescope.

File Attachment:

File Name: dome1.log
File Size:14 KB

File Attachment:

File Name: dome2.log
File Size:26 KB

File Attachment:

File Name: dome3.log
File Size:4 KB

File Attachment:

File Name: dome4.log
File Size:0 KB

File Attachment:

File Name: telsim2.log
File Size:1,478 KB

File Attachment:

File Name: telsim1.log
File Size:2,826 KB

File Attachment:

File Name: dome5.log
File Size:3 KB
Sometimes, not always, if I change the telescope in the dome configuration, the change gets recorded in the server log. The server log also captures more "snoops" than in the disk log, like the telescope EOD coordinates.
3 years 2 months ago #66850

Time to create page: 0.801 seconds