INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

My new telescope: Redcat 51

• Thank you received: 223
I've finally pushed the buy button on my new telescope I got myself a William Optic Redcat 51
Was originally going for a Takahashi Epsilon 130D but went against it for multiple reasons, the cost of the scope + the tools required to collimate such beast was too much in the end. Another reason was running it in my remote observatory, it's a very long way if the collimation goes wrong...
I then got my eyes on a Borg 55FL f/3.6 Astrograph, it's tiny but at a huge price. I couldn't find enough people using it so the reviews out there weren't truly balanced.
Ended up with the RedCat 51, 250mm f/4.9 it's the latest version, the more I read about it the more I got convinced.
I will be pimping it up with some Deep Sky Dad goodies, EAF/rotator/flat panel/DC hub

The following user(s) said Thank You: Chris Howard
2 years 9 months ago #71655
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 54
Very nice setup, it looks so compact. It seems to me that it could almost fit in a 60cm on a side box!
2 years 9 months ago #71666

It is quite small and super light. Only 30cm (without anything else, just the actual scope)

2 years 9 months ago #71679
Attachments:

First draft of my new cable management.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jerry Black
2 years 9 months ago #71718
Attachments:

• Thank you received: 139
The Deepsky Dad focus kit for the EAF is great for this scope. Keeps things nice and compact. Now I just need to get some shorter cables.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Gonzothegreat
2 years 9 months ago #71727
Attachments:

Nice setup you got there Andrew. Yes you would definitely need shorter cables.
Pavle from Deep Sky Dad has designed a custom bracket for my Redcat for this focuser.
2 years 9 months ago #71728

The Redcat is a pretty awesome scope. I've been using it with an APSc sized sensor. Color correction towards the edges is not as good as the center. So your camera will be a great match for both field of view and pixel scale and probably not show much color error in the corners. Basically blue isn't as in focus towards the edges, but you can only really see it if you zoom in 1:1. Pavel has made me items early on for the Redcat (I had one of the first), he's been great to work with, and finally got his new kit after moving from a Moonlite focus motor to the EAF.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gonzothegreat
2 years 9 months ago #71729

With the 1600MM-pro having 3.8um pixels, how's the "sampling" as according to the ccd tool website it would quite under sampled.
2 years 9 months ago #71730

Some of the smaller stars are square. I could drizzle possibly to increase the pixel resolution since I've dithered a lot. But now I'm using a 2600MC pro, and I'm about to take that off and use a 294MM pro I have sitting around. I have a whole bunch of cameras that I move around between scopes. But the 294MM pro is probably the best for pixel scale now that they unlocked the smaller pixels.
2 years 9 months ago #71734

• Thank you received: 182
This is my setup with a WhiteCat51, which is essentially the same as a RecCat51, except that it is white, not red.
I designed and 3D-printed my own autofocuser for it and I am driving it with MyFocuserPro loaded on an Arduino. 
Works like a charm!  Total cost of all materials: ~$ 40 plus an afternoon of soldering. 

If anyone is interested, I would be happy to share the 3D STL files so you can build one yourself.
I think this design is superior, because it does not use a belt drive.  There is virtually zero backlash in the setup.
And the focus it achieves every time is perfect!  Look at the V-curve in the screenshot.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Gonzothegreat, Daniel DeSclafani
Last edit: 2 years 9 months ago by Jose Corazon.
2 years 9 months ago #71767
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.198 seconds