INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Guide: StellarMate OS on Raspberry Pi4 step by step with tips and tricks

• Thank you received: 1
First, I want to thank you for this great write up. Very easy to follow along without knowing what I'm doing (for parts of it). Question at step 2 of making almost everything off the SSD:

sudo rsync -avx / /ssd

After a long list of copied files, I get the following error:
rsync: write failed on "/ssd/lib/modules/4.19.115+/kernel/drivers/iio/pressure/bmp280-i2c.ko": Read-only file system (30)
rsync error: error in file IO (code 11) at receiver .c(374) [receiver=3.1.3]

Is his expected? Did I do something wrong? How should I fix?

EDIT: I must have done *something* wrong... I continued with the instructions and the thing will no longer boot... with or without the SSD.
Last edit: 3 years 9 months ago by vince.
3 years 9 months ago #54783

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 31

The command only copies everything from your root folder / to the /ssd folder.
If you mounted your SSD on the /ssd path then that should work.

However, I did not get the error message that you mention here so maybe it can also be different from SSD to SSD
3 years 9 months ago #54785

• Thank you received: 3
Hello

Raspberry Pi 4 now supports both data and power over USB port. I was wondering if we could simply connect a powered USB hub to USB C port and then connect devices through that. On R-Pi 4 forums it seems this is enabled in the firmware. How to do that with stellarmet? Any ideas?
3 years 9 months ago #54853

Thought I'd close the loop with this. I've resolved my issue. Again, I want to thank you for the guide it was very helpful for me.
For reference, it turns out the issue was insufficient power. I hadn't receive my powered USB hub yet so the SSD was plugged directly into the pi (powered by a cheapo wall wart). I got the exact same problem the second try. dmesg command revealed insufficient voltage. Tried again with the new hub and it copied all the files over.

When it was time to bootup, it still did not work because I use a Sabrent SATA USB adapter. After some reading, I used the quirks fix and now everything works great. I have a new adapter ordered.
Thanks again.
Vince
The following user(s) said Thank You: Stefan R.
3 years 9 months ago #54930

Thanks for a really good guide!
Wavemon is a nice tool to test WiFi Signal Strength:

$ sudo apt-get update
$ sudo apt-get install wavemon
$ wavemon
3 years 9 months ago #55283

• Thank you received: 15
Great guide, very helpful for Astroberry as well! Used it to install a SSD mounted at boot time, works perfectly. Lots of space now and fast, especially important for FireCapture when it writes the video files. On the SD card, this was nearly impossible.

I have two questions: How can I back up the SD/SSD combo to an external image file? It‘s a bit different from the situation with just a SD card. And how would I restore this backup, just in case?

Thanks and CS, Bernd
3 years 9 months ago #55510

Thanks for an excellent guide !

One comment regarding external USB 3.0 Realtek WiFi. When I was configuring mine I had problems with building the source code. After some digging on this forum I managed to get it to work by running this set of commands:

sudo apt -y install raspberrypi-kernel-headers
sudo ln -s /usr/src/linux-headers-$(uname -r)/arch/arm/ /usr/src/linux-headers-$(uname -r)/arch/armv7l # this was the missing link that made it possible to build Realtek driver on StellarMate
sudo apt -y install git
sudo apt -y install gcc
cd /usr/src
sudo git clone https://github.com/EntropicEffect/rtl8822bu
cd rtl8822bu
sudo nano Makefile -l
# Update lines 100 and 101 to this and save the file:
CONFIG_PLATFORM_I386_PC = n
CONFIG_PLATFORM_ARM_RPI = y
sudo make
sudo make install

I hope this will help others who experience the same problem

PS My WiFi dongle is connected through USB 3.0 passive hub
The following user(s) said Thank You: Joaquin
Last edit: 3 years 5 days ago by Perunwit.
3 years 6 months ago #59381

• Thank you received: 30
Could you give more details on the model of your wifi device ? I am searching for one with compatibility with stellarmate/raspbian
3 years 6 months ago #59389

It is the same one as posted on the first page

Flybiz USB3 WiFi adapter to get USB3 speeds (Chipset: Realtek 8812BU)
www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07S23DBBY/
The following user(s) said Thank You: Joaquin
Last edit: 3 years 6 months ago by Perunwit.
3 years 6 months ago #59390

Should update to specify that with the new bootloader you can avoid using a microSD card entirely and boot and run off the external M.2 drive. I've got it working right now. One less failure point and allows you to do everything off the SSD.

Additionally, you can always keep an updated microSD card around in case of disk failure - but SSDs are pretty robust.

It's as simple as just blowing the Stellarmate image onto the SSD and then plugging it into the USB3 port on your Pi (I'm using a Pi4 for this). If your bootloader is post Sept 2020 and you have no microsd card in it'll boot directly off the SSD.

Reference: www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/hardwa...ypi/bootmodes/msd.md
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brad Snell, Jason Rickerby
3 years 2 months ago #65397

• Thank you received: 0

I thought it might be helpful to share my experience of this, it was not quite this simple.
Using a Pi4 8Gb, updating the boot loader (see www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/hardwa...errypi/booteeprom.md ) was simple, but the result was not an 'automatic' change to being able to boot from USB.
I needed to edit the boot loader config (see www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/hardwa...bootloader_config.md ) which seemed to be simple, but the changes I made did not ever seem to be applied when I rebooted.
It turns out that despite the linked EEPROM page saying otherwise, I had to remove (actually I just renamed) the existing bootcode.bin file before I could successfully apply any changed to the boot loader config. It is still a pretty simple change overall, but the information provided seems a little misleading.
3 years 2 weeks ago #68075

Update on my end. 

I actually swapped my old RPI case to this one
Argon ONE M.2 Case for Raspberry Pi 4 • RaspberryPi.dk

Together with an M.2 drive it can now run without an SD card.

Performance boost is insane :) 

Also, I swapped from a passive 4 port USB 3.0 hub to the 8 port active one [exactly same model as has been described in the previous posts] 

That said, adding a 30000 mA battery and running with Pegasus Pocket Power Box made it really slick with only 2 cables that are not mounted on the OTA :) 
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jasem Mutlaq
Last edit: 3 years 4 days ago by Perunwit.
3 years 5 days ago #68607

Time to create page: 1.824 seconds