INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

polar alignment assistant: total disaster

• Thank you received: 19
Are you using the guider camera for alignment? And if so, are you doing so because the FOV of your imaging camera is too small? Why not use your image camera?

jmh
5 years 4 months ago #32850

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 223
5 years 4 months ago #32851

I'm thinking of getting a Polemaster for my HEQ5, with the adaptor. At least this camera will be true to the mount axis.
5 years 4 months ago #32889

• Thank you received: 53
Not entirely. Any camera could be misaligned but the Polemaster is of course going to be potentially less misaligned. The PHD2 tutorials include a method using SPA to adjust the camera to be properly aligned. You could do the same with Ekos when it works. Basically the offset of the centre of rotation from the centre of the sensor consists of a component of Declination and a component of cone error. Adjusting for the declination offset is just a case of moving in Dec. The cone error offset should be easy to correct with a finder guider, less so with an imaging scope.
5 years 4 months ago #32896

• Thank you received: 66
It just occurred to me that it may not be electronic. Something could have worked loose since your last successful PA. A friend had similar problems. It turned out to be his mount was not secure. Before you try another PA. Check that everything is solid. In his case he found two issues, one was a loose pinion that the azimuth screws work against, and the other was something wrong with the tripod.
5 years 4 months ago #32900

Thanks, I can guarantee that the mount was/is secure, nothing loose. I always check everything in the box every time I come here.
A lot of good people pointed out the actual guider alignment to the mount itself, as I have taken new measures (see pictures on page 2), I will try it again on the next clear night.
5 years 4 months ago #32901

In about two weeks, I will back at the observatory to put the mount back online.
Could someone please tell me if this polar alignment has been solved, still an issue or else?

thanks all.
I will take my backup camera in case...
5 years 4 weeks ago #37018

• Thank you received: 226
It worked well for me the last opportunity I had to use it. I use my Orion SSAG through a ZWO 280mm guide scope. Easily achieved >0.4' accuracy, and PHD2 guide logs confirmed that accuracy.
5 years 4 weeks ago #37024

• Thank you received: 87
I have used it 4 consecutive nights this week on my portable setup without any problems. Working good.
Used it with an ASI120MM with a 50mm finder.
Last edit: 5 years 4 weeks ago by nMAC.
5 years 4 weeks ago #37063

• Thank you received: 420
I have used is several times this week on my two portable setups. On one I use the 80 mm imaging refractor with my Canon DSLR camera and on the other the 203 mm imaging RC telescope with an ASI1600MM-Pro. With the latter I achieved a better than 1' polar alignment last night.
5 years 4 weeks ago #37065

Thanks all for the good positive comments.
I have arrived at my observatory location a couple of hours ago, after a 9 hours drive and my box is all up and running already. All tested and running, apart from the damn QHY5...( I will put a separate post about this).

The bad news is, I have apparently just 1 single night to do this alignment, and that's tonight !!!! the rest of the week is going to be wet according to the forecast... so... I hope it is going to work...
5 years 2 weeks ago #37447

• Thank you received: 6
Hi all,
last night I had the chance to finally test Ekos and its polar alignment procedure.
I had problems with it because when moving the mount (iOptron SmartEQ Pro) for the first rotation Ekos parked the mount instead and then stopped.
I had to use the manual slew and then the procedure completed correctly (and quickly, I should say) leaving the mount perfectly aligned.
However, I also experienced a lot of crashes of Kstars/Ekos on my 64-bit Intel miniPC with Ubuntu 18.04: has anybody else experienced the same crash problems?
Thank you.
4 years 8 months ago #42186

Time to create page: 1.018 seconds