INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Re:KStars Mac DMG 3.4.0 beta testing needed

• Thank you received: 812
Well failing to solve is not the same as failing to work due to crashing/incompatible python or stuff like that. Glad to hear that it solved once.

Astrometry is like a fine art, you need to play with all the settings to get a good plate solve. Did you download all the index files that would be needed? The real images of the sky will solve with different files than the simulator. You also should try adjusting some settings such as exposure time, downsampling, using the scale, using the position info, when you take an image and solve it.

Did you plate solve and then just save the focal length and then try to plate solve again? That won't work because it will have the solve information from the first solve and will use that to inform the next solve and make it faster.
4 years 2 months ago #49385

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 139
I can't, for the life of me, get it to work.

Here's the image I'm using.

According to the Fov calculator it should be 0.69° x 0.46° but it doesn't solve with that in there. So I tried a blind solve on Nova.astrometry.net and it says the size of the image is 40.8 x 27.3 deg. I tried both those options in the FOV setting for EKOS and it didn't work with either. I have all except 2°-4°, which I've never needed before. Let me know what parameters you think I need to change.

4 years 2 months ago #49387
Attachments:

Are you using "Load and Slew" to do this?
4 years 2 months ago #49388

Yeah. Is there another way to solve a captured image? I've been doing this with the simulators loaded, and using an image that I've captured previously.
Last edit: 4 years 2 months ago by Andrew Burwell.
4 years 2 months ago #49389

Hmm, I just tried "Load and Slew." it didn't work. I might not have implemented sextractor for "Load and Slew". Oops. Let me check that one. . .
4 years 2 months ago #49390

Sorry you were quite right there was an issue. So it turns out, I hadn't completely forgotten about implementing sextractor for "Load and Slew," but I did forget to test that function with sextractor. It had a couple of small issues. They should now be resolved. please see if this fixes it:

www.indilib.org/jdownloads/kstars/beta/kstars-3.4.0-beta4.dmg
4 years 2 months ago #49394

I'm getting an error trying to download the file. There's a typo in the link, but even trying with that fixed I get an error.
4 years 2 months ago #49397

4 years 2 months ago #49410

Please let me know how it goes with the revised link.
4 years 2 months ago #49421

• Thank you received: 41
Woha!!! It’s so fast that seems broken ;). I’ve been playing with the simulator and it always took 0 seconds. With the beta 4. The Load & Slew option worked flawlessly with all the FITS that I’ve used: 5 or 6 Canon EOS 40D raw files captured as FITS and spread over the northern hemisphere.

Good (incredible!) work.

Thank you!

(Tested on Catalina 10.15.3)
Last edit: 4 years 2 months ago by Rafa Barberá.
4 years 2 months ago #49424

Awesome, so Load and Slew is fixed now! I was hoping I had fixed it.

Please test thoroughly! If all is good now, we can move ahead with the release of 3.4.0
4 years 2 months ago #49426

Glad to hear it’s working for others. I’ll check once I get home from work this evening.
4 years 2 months ago #49427

Time to create page: 0.520 seconds