INDI Library v1.8.5 Released (19 Apr 2020)

April 2020 release of INDI Library v1.8.5 introduces new drivers while providing fixes and improvements to existing devices and core framework.

Polar Alignment with the telescope returned to Park

3 months 3 weeks ago
Avocette
Expert Boarder
Expert Boarder
More
Topic Author
Polar Alignment with the telescope returned to Park #49339
I find the Ekos Polar Alignment process excellent and I have benefitted hugely from the results I obtain with it. However I have a suggestion for a small improvement. If the final mechanical adjustments to the mount could take place with the telescope/guidescope already returned to the Park position, the image in the alignment frame would now correlate with the mechanical movements of the mount adjustments i.e. up means up and left means left rather than at some angle. I have gradually gained some 'instinct' so my adjustments are less by fumbling with the control knobs and a bit more directed than they were at first, but all simplifications in the dark would be welcome.

Currently running KStars/Ekos/Indi on a Raspberry Pi 4B 2GByte under Raspbian thanks to Astroberry
Sky-Watcher ED80 Pro with 0.85x FR/Corrector with Canon DSLR on AZ-EQ5 GT mount
Other Sky-Watcher scopes - SkyMax 150 Pro Maksutov Cassegrain and Explorer 150p Newtonian

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

3 months 3 weeks ago
starman345
Expert Boarder
Expert Boarder
More
Polar Alignment with the telescope returned to Park #49341
I know what you mean. I enjoy using the PAA, but the first twist on the az or alt knobs is just a shot in the dark as to which way the star will move. It is easy to figure out after a few adjustments but having the scope in the home position would probably make the movements more intuitive.
I've never tried it but as far as I know it is not mandatory to start the process with the scope in the home position. If one started with the scope all the way to the east or west(counterweight bar more or less parallel to the ground) then set the paa to move the telescope 45 degrees each rotation the telescope would end up at the home position. I wonder if that would work, has anyone tried it?

-Brian

Kstars-Ekos-INDIE
NanoPC-T4 - Armbian Ubuntu 18.04
iOptron CEM25P mount
Photoline 80mm triplet
ZWO ASI294MC Pro Imaging camera
ZWO ASI290MM mini Guide camera

The following user(s) said Thank You Avocette

3 months 3 weeks ago
RDBeck
Expert Boarder
Expert Boarder
More
Polar Alignment with the telescope returned to Park #49342
This is what I do:
1) unpark my mount,
2) manually rotate to approximately 60 degrees west
3) start the polar alignment routine with 30 degree steps to the east
4) final image and loop are approximately at park position making azimuth and longitudinal adjustments more logical to my mind.

I agree that if this were automated, it would be much simpler.

Hypertuned NEQ-6Pro, ZWO OAG, ASI 120 min guide camera, SV 80ST, ASI 1600MM Pro, ASI filters and filter wheel, DIY Moonlite-compatible focuser, DIY SQM

3 months 3 weeks ago
gilesco
Expert Boarder
Expert Boarder
More
Polar Alignment with the telescope returned to Park #49371
I've not been able to get the Ekos Polar Alignment to work, the Park position for my mount is configured to point my telescope about 40 degrees below the horizon, and when plate solving fails for what ever reason the Polar Alignment decides to take the telescope way off the NCP and point it at the ground.

Not sure why it does this, should I program the Park position to be the Home position pointing at where the NCP should be?

__
I blog my progress: www.coochey.net

3 months 3 weeks ago
rbarberac
Senior Boarder
Senior Boarder
More
Polar Alignment with the telescope returned to Park #49376
With the EQMod mount driver I had the same problem. The solution was to reset the home position:

Put your telescope pointing to the pole and switch on the mount. Then goto the INDI mount driver, locate the home position section and press the default button, then save.

This is only needed to be done once.

3 months 3 weeks ago
gilesco
Expert Boarder
Expert Boarder
More
Polar Alignment with the telescope returned to Park #49377

rbarberac wrote: With the EQMod mount driver I had the same problem. The solution was to reset the home position:

Put your telescope pointing to the pole and switch on the mount. Then goto the INDI mount driver, locate the home position section and press the default button, then save.

This is only needed to be done once.

I figured as much, I have a Celestron CGX - Park, Home and Switch mean different things to different mounts. Using Park is not too good for the CGX (Park in Celestron sense mean a move to a static state), Home/Switch means more in line with what the Polar Alignment tool is expecting.

__
I blog my progress: www.coochey.net

3 months 3 weeks ago
phomer60
Gold Boarder
Gold Boarder
More
Polar Alignment with the telescope returned to Park #49386
Avocette,

I believe that may be a viable option for the NCP but there are very few bright stars around the SCP which would probablyt create more issues than are solved.

Paul

3 months 3 weeks ago
Avocette
Expert Boarder
Expert Boarder
More
Topic Author
Polar Alignment with the telescope returned to Park #49395

phomer60 wrote: Avocette,

I believe that may be a viable option for the NCP but there are very few bright stars around the SCP which would probablyt create more issues than are solved.

Paul

If you are saying that you can presently do your PA when the routine leaves the scope rotated 60° from the Park position because there are more stars visible in that position, then fine, carry on. In the case of the northern hemisphere, I am not using Polaris when I make the mount adjustments, but just some arbitrary star in the field of view of my guidescope. My issue is just that I would prefer up to mean up and right to mean right on the alignment screen. At present right (east) adjustment makes the chosen star move at 30° to the horizontal upwards and leftwards (west north west). I have now learned this but every new user suffers the same learning issue.....

Currently running KStars/Ekos/Indi on a Raspberry Pi 4B 2GByte under Raspbian thanks to Astroberry
Other Sky-Watcher scopes - SkyMax 150 Pro Maksutov Cassegrain and Explorer 150p Newtonian

3 months 3 weeks ago
wvreeven
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder
More
Polar Alignment with the telescope returned to Park #49401
I see merit in your request. For now you could just manually rotate the mount east by 60 degrees and then start the polar alignment routine with the mount moving west (or vice versa). Yes it is an additional step to be done manually but at least you'll get what you're looking for.
For me, personally, I don't care much for the orientation of the FOV during the polar alignment. And I have auto-park after the polar alignment routine finishes disabled so if your request is honored then I'd like to have an option somewhere to NOT do that. Just my $0,02

Wouter

ASI1600MM-Pro Cooled and filter wheel with a SkyWatcher Esprit 80 ED on a SkyWatcher HEQ5-Pro
ASI1600MM-Pro Cooled and filter wheel with an 8" TS Ritchey-Chrétien on a SkyWatcher EQ6-R

3 months 3 weeks ago
Avocette
Expert Boarder
Expert Boarder
More
Topic Author
Polar Alignment with the telescope returned to Park #49402

wvreeven wrote: For now you could just manually rotate the mount east by 60 degrees and then start the polar alignment routine with the mount moving west (or vice versa). Yes it is an additional step to be done manually but at least you'll get what you're looking for.

Hi Wouter,
I haven't had the clear skies yet to try this approach but it would certainly satisfy my initial need. I wouldn't want anyone to be negatively affected if the request ultimately leads to some changes!
Ed

3 months 3 weeks ago 3 months 3 weeks ago by Avocette.
Avocette
Expert Boarder
Expert Boarder
More
Topic Author
Polar Alignment with the telescope returned to Park #49447
So with clear skies here tonight (yippee!), I just tried out your idea RDBeck and Wouter and it worked very well! Two points of interest - up was down and left was right but we are used to telescope observations being inverted and flipped, and secondly, the 60° offset from Park turned out to be a little less at around 56° when I looked at the RA setting circle (which I had never needed to check before). Thanks both for the idea! Ed

3 months 3 weeks ago
Ihoujin
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder
More
Polar Alignment with the telescope returned to Park #49457
This is a good idea. It will assume that your camera orientation is also orthogonal though.
Myself, I try to visualise the error line as the hypotenuse of a right triangle, with the two missing sides corresponding the RA and DEC traces. If that could actually be drawn, the process would be a simple matter of following one side at a time.

INDI/KStars on Raspberry Pi 4, 4gb
Raspbian Buster with AstroPi3 script configuration
Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro Mount
Canon 600D Camera
Orion SSAG/ASI120mm @280mm Guide Scope
PHD2
Adafruit Motor Hat shield
Adafruit GPS Module
Generic Bluetooth Joystick.
Startech 7 port powered USB Hub.

Time to create page: 0.837 seconds