INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

AstroArch - yet another raspberry distro for astrophotography for ARM64

• Thank you received: 8
This is a reply to AstroMuni's note a few posts up. Unfortunately, the Quote mechanism on this site doesn't work, so my initial reply was badly garbled.

AstroMuni said:
"You could set up Wifi connection on the RPi to connect to your Router. That way it should pick up an IP from your router at next boot"

This is right as far as it goes, but it's a bit more complicated than that.

For example, the instructions for Astroberry don't get this quite right when they say:

<em>After the first boot, search for 'astroberry' wireless hotspot and connect your PC to it using 'astroberry' for password. Point your browser to astroberry.local or https://10.42.0.1 to access Astroberry Server. For the Internet access connect your Astroberry to your home wireless network. Right-click top bar Wi-Fi icon and edit Wireless connection by entering your home network SSID and password.

Adding the network via the GUI disconnects the noVNC session rendering it unusable. This cannot be done in real time.

AstroArch's directions don't lead you down that path, but they don't tell you how to set up the connection to your network either.

The right thing to do, once the connection is made via the hotspot is to add your home network SSID and password using the application
nm-connection-editor

, then rebooting the Pi. It is possible there may be latency periods involved. But once the connection is up, it should remain solid.
Last edit: 7 months 1 week ago by Steve Cohen. Reason: fix formatting
7 months 1 week ago #96153
The topic has been locked.
  • Thank you received: 109
To both Ed, thank you for the heads up about firecapture, I will have a look at it hopefully sometime this week, as you stated Ed, this is just a question of packaging, dumping thing in the right place and bring in dependencies, should be doable!

For the connection, I am actually testing something with my friend. He reported back that once the wallet is dropped adding a WiFi network works with no additional steps for him (after losing it for a while because of the swap), I want to test this scenario myself as I never used my Pi through WiFI (even for astro I drop a 25m long eth cable :lol: )
7 months 1 week ago #96168
  • Thank you received: 34
Hi Steve,

"<em>After the first boot, search for 'astroberry' wireless hotspot and connect your PC to it using 'astroberry' for password. Point your browser to astroberry.local or https://10.42.0.1 to access Astroberry Server. For the Internet access connect your Astroberry to your home wireless network. Right-click top bar Wi-Fi icon and edit Wireless connection by entering your home network SSID and password.

Adding the network via the GUI disconnects the noVNC session rendering it unusable. This cannot be done in real time."

I agree that the documentation is not very clear and you do get disconnected from noVNC. But the connection to your home network has been established. So when you reboot the RPi it connects to home network. Atleast thats how it works on Astroberry. I havent tried the same on AstroArch as I connect RPi via ethernet cable.
Clear Skies,
Pramod

My kit: SW 130PDS on a HEQ5 Pro mount, ZWO ASI533mc Pro, 30mm guidescope with ASI120mm mini, managed using Kstars/Ekos, RPi with Stellarmate OS, ASI224mc, bits and bobs for visual observations.
7 months 1 week ago #96171
In the meanwhile, I just compiled and made available (both for AstroArch and x64 PCs):
  • Indi 2.0.4
  • Kstars 3.6.7
  • Stellarsolver 2.5
  • PHD2 2.6.11dev6

Clear skies to everyone!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Stefan
7 months 1 week ago #96174
  • Thank you received: 17
Hi Mattia,
when trying to update AstroArch with "update-astroarch" it leads to this error message

What is going wrong?
Regards
Stefan
Last edit: 7 months 6 days ago by Stefan.
7 months 6 days ago #96186
Attachments:
Hi Stefan, it seems gedit packaging changed pulling in some conflicts. You can safely remove gedit by running sudo pacman -Rcs gedit and continue, if you feel the need of another text editor you can install kate via pacman
The following user(s) said Thank You: Stefan
7 months 6 days ago #96191
Thanks Mattia,
will try this in the evening
7 months 6 days ago #96192
@Astromuni
I've had very erratic results with the connection being saved even though the noVNC connection is lost. Not always. It's much safer to use something like
nm-connection-editor
which does not try to make the connection in real time.
7 months 5 days ago #96199
I had the same issue as Stefan and your recommendation of removing gedit resolved it. Thanks.
7 months 5 days ago #96200
The update worked after removing gedit. Made some indoor tests with UMI17 mount, DSD Af3 focuser, Touptek IMX 571 color cam, SVBony 305m pro guiding cam.
Everything is connected and controlable. No Errors in the INDI logwindows. Hope, that I can take some tests outside at the weekend. Version 3.6.6 was buggy, both cams stucked from time to time. So I'm happy that Mattia lifted AstroArch so quick to the new version 3.6.7 :)
Regards
Stefan
7 months 5 days ago #96201
Sorry to ask this here. It doesn't seem quite appropriate, but it seems to be the only "forum" for Astroarch questions.

Adding an RTC is mentioned in the main README. I'd also like to add a GPS, preferably as one unit. Does anyone have any recommendations as to hardware to do this, that will not break existing hardware, and not requiring soldering? My Pi is a "CanaKit Extreme 4GB". This one looks interesting and there's even a "hat case" you can get. What are others using? Thanks.
7 months 5 days ago #96205
Hi Steve, I am using a USB u-blox7 gps, works ok
7 months 4 days ago #96244
Moderators: Mattia
Time to create page: 1.003 seconds