INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

AstroArch - yet another raspberry distro for astrophotography for ARM64

• Thank you received: 30
The community repository is no longer used in ArchLinux. Put # in front of the corresponding line in /etc/pacman.conf

See this announcement archlinux.org/news/git-migration-announcement/

After trying again sudo debtap -u
Last edit: 4 months 4 weeks ago by Stéphane Carlin.
4 months 4 weeks ago #97567
The topic has been locked.
  • Thank you received: 8
Woo Hoo! that was the solution. I had to comment out both lines but then debtap worked and I was able to install FireCapture.
#[community]
#Include = /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist

So I guess we've found an item for Mattia for the next version of astroarch: remove community section from /etc/pacman.conf

Now I have to figure out how to use Firecapture. I wanted it back in my Raspberry Pi days but couldn't get it for my equipment.
Thank you, Stephane!
4 months 4 weeks ago #97569
Perfect !

If Firecapture does not work after installation, you need to install java and modify the startup file as explained indilib.org/forum/general/12964-astroarc...html?start=216#97480

Firecapture works on a Pi but the power is not enough to get a fast enough fps to make good video planetary.
4 months 4 weeks ago #97570
Geez! I can't install either trizen or yay (there's always something missing), and so I can't really install FireCapture. Giving up for tonight.
4 months 4 weeks ago #97571
As Mattia says, in AstroArch there is paru software which is also a wrapper for AUR.
Use paru to install FireCapture after debtap.

debtap firecapture_2.7.14_aarch64.deb

paru -S firecapture_2.7.14_aarch64.zst
The following user(s) said Thank You: Steve Cohen
4 months 4 weeks ago #97572
"Firecapture works on a Pi but the power is not enough to get a fast enough fps to make good video planetary."
Do you think the Raspberry Pi 5 has the same limitation?
Last edit: 4 months 4 weeks ago by Matteo. Reason: Missing quote
4 months 4 weeks ago #97573
I did several tests, with a PC based on a Celeron processor and another with an I7 gaming. Both computers are recent with SSD and USB3.
With my Meade 12', and the 462mc camera, I took video captures with FireCapture. FPS was much slower on the Celeron.
The difference when processing with AutoSkakkert is really significant. And the end result has nothing to do with it.
In summary, you can capture with Firecapture using a PI, but you shouldn't expect to compete with those using a fast processor.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Matteo
4 months 4 weeks ago #97575
Attachments:
  • Thank you received: 50
I have experience with FireCapture 2.7 running on my RPi 4 and now my RPi 5 both of which are 8GB versions. For planetary capture I use my ZWO ASI 533MC in FC self-centring RoI of 400 x 400 pixels on my SW SkyMax 150 with 2x Barlow at 3600mm focal length. My images of Jupiter and Mars from 2022 were posted on Cloudy Nights in the ‘small bore’ planetary images threads and gained plenty of likes.
To try to add some factual evidence on frame rates, I have just measured my 533 camera shooting in FC 2.7.14 on the very latest issue of Raspberry Pi OS ‘bookworm’ (2023-12-05) on my RPi4 and also on my HP laptop which runs an Intel i5 (10th generation) with 16GB ram and an SSD. With exposure set to 5ms at gain 340 and SER video recording for 2000 frames, the RPi4 and the PC both ran at 133 fps.
The difference comes in lunar capture profile at 3008x3008 pixels when the PC offered 20 fps, whereas the RPi4 was a lot lower at around 3 fps. However I’ve just done a quick check on the RPi5 and the fps in 3008x3008 pixels is actually offering 20 fps!
So please don’t write off the RPi - it offers a lot in a little package!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Matteo
4 months 4 weeks ago #97576
There is no question of ruling out the PI. Don't make me say what I didn't say.

It's just an observation made with my PCs and how one of my friends who is one of the 10 best in the world in planetary images works.

The PI 5 can capture at 20 fps as you verified. At what fps do you think the best images we see are made?

An interesting project made with a PI and FireCapture to make an allsky camera

www.cloudynights.com/topic/729639-all-sky-camera/
Last edit: 4 months 4 weeks ago by Stéphane Carlin. Reason: Add project allsky camera
4 months 4 weeks ago #97577
Finally succeeded in installing Firecapture (Hooray!), now I have to install java and it fails.
sudo pacman -S  jdk-openjdk                                                                                        1 ↵ astronaut@astroarch
resolving dependencies...
looking for conflicting packages...

Packages (6) java-environment-common-3-5  java-runtime-common-3-5  jre-openjdk-21.u35-3  jre-openjdk-headless-21.u35-3  libnet-1:1.1.6-1
             jdk-openjdk-21.u35-3

Total Download Size:   119.38 MiB
Total Installed Size:  284.46 MiB

:: Proceed with installation? [Y/n] Y
:: Retrieving packages...
 jdk-openjdk-21.u35-3-aarch64.pkg.tar.xz failed to download
 jre-openjdk-headless-21.u35-3-aarch64.pkg.tar.xz failed to download
 jre-openjdk-21.u35-3-aarch64.pkg.tar.xz failed to download
 libnet-1:1.1.6-1-aarch64.pkg.tar.xz failed to download
 java-runtime-common-3-5-any                                      4.8 KiB  1229   B/s 00:04 [######################################################] 100%
 Total (5/6)                                                    119.4 MiB  29.1 MiB/s 00:04 [######################################################] 100%
error: failed retrieving file 'jre-openjdk-21.u35-3-aarch64.pkg.tar.xz' from mirror.archlinuxarm.org : The requested URL returned error: 404
error: failed retrieving file 'jdk-openjdk-21.u35-3-aarch64.pkg.tar.xz' from mirror.archlinuxarm.org : The requested URL returned error: 404
error: failed retrieving file 'jre-openjdk-headless-21.u35-3-aarch64.pkg.tar.xz' from mirror.archlinuxarm.org : The requested URL returned error: 404
warning: too many errors from mirror.archlinuxarm.org, skipping for the remainder of this transaction
error: failed retrieving file 'libnet-1:1.1.6-1-aarch64.pkg.tar.xz' from mirror.archlinuxarm.org : The requested URL returned error: 404
warning: failed to retrieve some files
error: failed to commit transaction (unexpected error)
Errors occurred, no packages were upgraded.

What was my mistake here? I[m certainly learning a bunch about ArchLinux.
4 months 4 weeks ago #97579
It's strange that installing jdk-openjdk requires loading jre-openjdk-headless-21.u35-3 and 2x jdk-openjdk-21.u35-3. It seems to me that there is a problem with loading repos.
Can you do a pacman -Syu command and give the result?
4 months 4 weeks ago #97582
That worked. Install of JDK succeeded. It also upgraded 232 other packages. I hope that doesn't break anything.
4 months 4 weeks ago #97583
Moderators: Mattia
Time to create page: 0.591 seconds